Monday, June 11, 2012

A Garden Update

I've been bad about posting recently, but wanting to share a quick garden update!  Things are starting to grow like crazy.  I harvested my first squash this past weekend, which was pretty exciting.

Garden #1.  Squash, zucchini, peppers, eggplants, tomatoes and cucumbers.
Tomatillas!  This is one I started inside from seed.  I can't believe how big it has gotten!
Also super excited to see how much my tomatoes have grown.  I also started these inside from seed so that makes it even more fun to watch grow.
Cucumbers starting to grow like crazy.  Put a fence up for them to climb on this weekend.  You can't even see the cilantro that is growing between them.  So far, the cilantro has been great at keeping pests away.  I hope I'm not jinxing myself, but there isn't the slightest evidence of bugs or anything.

Tomatoes will be ready to harvest soon
And now we come to the sad part of my garden update.  My squash seems to have been invaded by squash borers :(  These are nasty little suckers that kill your squash.  A number of my squash plants have died, and some look to be on their way out soon.  The thing that is really tricky is that they get into the stem of the plant, but you can't tell until they have already damaged it and the plant is starting to die.
Rough looking squash that I planted too close together.
A pretty squash blossom!
Patty pan squash, my favorite!

Baby zucchini
Yellow crookneck squash.
Onions, peppers and brussel sprouts

A random smattering of plants I planted too close together.  I had some leftover tomato seedlings that I didn't want to throw away, so I planted five of them and they have grown like crazy in a week.  Also some heirloom plants that I bought at the Clemson farmers market.  And then I learned about cross pollination, woops.
Pepper!
More peppers!

Poblano peppers
Thai chile peppers ready to be harvested.

That's all for now.  We're supposed to get a bunch of rain this week, so hopefully it will help my garden grow even more!  If anyone has any organic suggestions about dealing with the squash bugs, let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment