Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Spicy Summer Squash Soup



I apologize for being so slack on posting recently!  I've been so inundated with food, it's been hard to keep up with everything.  I've often been cooking three or four dishes at a time and when I get to the end, I realize that I totally forgot to take pictures along the way.  The photography is still lacking...but hopefully I'll get better one day!

This recipe is adapted from one that I found in this month's edition of Whole Living magazine.  The original recipe does not call for jalapenos, but I have a bunch of peppers in my garden right now, and this was a perfect opportunity use one!  I actually used a type of pepper called Biker Billy, which is supposedly hotter than a jalapeno.  I also left the seeds in, so that made it hotter.  So if you like hot stuff, add one or two jalapenos (or other type of pepper).  If you're looking for something more bland, skip the pepper entirely and it should be fine.
  • 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil (or olive oil)
  • 1 yellow onion
  • 5 cloves garlic
  • 1/2 cup cilantro stems + cilantro for garnish
  • 3 teaspoons coriander
  • 1 jalapeno (optional if you don't like spicy food, or feel free to add more if you like spicy!)
  • 5 summer squash
  • 3 cups water
  • Juice of 1 1/2 limes
  • Salt and pepper to taste
----

1.  Heat oil and cook chopped onion for about 5 minutes.  Add garlic, cilantro stems and coriander and cook about two minutes longer. 


2.  Add chopped squash and chopped jalapeno and cook for a minute or two.  Add water and a few pinches of salt.  Depending on the size of your squash, you may need to add more or less water (make sure it is just over the top of the squash).  Bring to a boil and simmer for about 15 minutes or until squash is tender.


3.  Remove from heat.  Add juice from one and a half limes, and salt and pepper to taste. 

4.  Blend (Note: If you don't have a hand blender, make sure that's next on your list to purchase.  They are awesome and will make this recipe a lot easier!  If you have a regular blender, make sure the soup has cooled a bit and don't fill it all the way when you blend.  But really, get a hand blender!  The Cuisinart ones double as a mini food processor and are so handy!).

5.  Garnish with cilantro.  Soup can be served hot or cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment