Monday, July 2, 2012

Summer Veggie Torte


This is a fabulous recipe that I have made many times in the past.  In the fall, I make it with butternut squash as the original recipe calls for and it is so yummy!  In fact, I was making this dish when I had my horrific mandolin slicer incident.  So needless to say, I don't neatly slice everything with a mandolin as I should when I make it now.  Even if it isn't as pretty and doesn't cook as evenly, it is still tasty.  Do try to cut everything as thinly as you can, but be sure to use the guard if you use a mandolin slicer!!

I enjoyed this dish so much the first time I made it last week, that I made it a second time last night.  Except I used baby zucchini from my garden instead of  yellow squash.  It was equally as tasty.  I also used cherry tomatoes the first time, but used a regular sized tomato the second time.  Pretty much anything works with this recipe.  Don't be scared to add some extra layers in there if you have room in the springform pan.  I used extra squash and potatoes because I have so much!  I find it's helpful to squish it down with your hands so you can fit more in.  If you don't have a springform pan, I think a regular baking dish would work fine, the presentation just won't be as good.  Here is what you need:

  • 1 tablespoon grapefruit oil (or olive oil but since it's being heated up I recommend grapeseed)
  • 1 or 2 large summer squashes, thinly sliced
  • 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
  • 4 leaves of kale, stems discarded and cut into 1 inch pieces
  • 1 medium potato, thinly sliced
  • 6 ounces thinly sliced provolone cheese
  • 1 tomato, thinly sliced
  • Salt & pepper 
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesean cheese
    ----
1.  Heat oven to 425.  Oil a 9 inch springform pan.  Arrange half the squash in the bottom of the pan, in concentric circles.  Top with half the onions, separating the rings.  



2.  Top with half the kale, drizzle with oil and season with 1/4 tsp. salt.  Top with the potatoes and half the provolone cheese.

I used curly kale because that's what I had from the CSA, but definitely recommend lacinato if you can find it!
3. Top with remaining kale, drizzle with the remaining oil and season with 1/4 tsp. of salt and pepper.  Top with the remaining onion, tomatoes and provolone.  Arrange the remaining squash on top and sprinkle with Parmesean.



3.  Cover with foil, place on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes.  Remove foil and bake until the vegetables are tender and the top is beginning to brown, 8 to 10 minutes more.
Yummy layers of goodness

No comments:

Post a Comment