Friday, July 6, 2012

Blueberry & Peach Gazpacho


I thought I'd mix it up and throw a dessert recipe out there for you guys.  I love dessert, but try not to make it often.  But my husband loves sweets, so I thought this would be a nice treat.  I saw this recipe in Bon Appetit magazine and wanted to give it a try.  I have a plethora of blueberries right now, and also picked up some fresh peaches that I thought would go well with the berries.  The original recipe doesn't call for peaches, but I thought they were fantastic.  The original recipe also calls for olive oil to drizzle and pepper, which I omitted and still found it super tasty!  And as per usual for me, I didn't exactly follow the measurements (I used half a lemon, half a lime and half an orange and added more sugar until it was sweet enough for me.  You really can't mess this recipe up, so use whatever amounts you like.).
  • 2 cups blueberries
  • 2 cups peaches
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
  • 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
  • 1 teaspoon lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
  • 1 sprig basil, torn into pieces, plus small leaves for garnish
  • Vanilla ice cream

----

1.  Combine first 7 ingredients and basil sprig in a medium heatproof bowl; toss to coat.  Place over a large saucepan of simmering water; cook for 10 minutes. 

2.  Let cool for 15 minutes. Chill until cold, about 4 hours. (Note: Berry gazpacho can be made 1 day ahead. Keep chilled.)

3.  Divide fruit and juices among bowls; garnish with basil leaves and top with a scoop of ice cream.

1 comment: