Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Spicy Zucchini Frittata

Note:  Don't forget to put oil your skillet or it will burn and stick like mine did.
I really enjoy Whole Living magazine.  It's a great resources for all sorts of interesting and useful information, including great recipes.  I saw this recipe in the latest issue and thought I would give it a try.  I've been using a lot more animal products than I would like recently, but it's sort of a compromise since no one else I cook for is interested in trying to be vegan.  So while I won't budge on meat, I do cook with cheese and eggs every once and a while (ok, I always cook with cheese...I love cheese!).  

In addition to the zucchini the recipe calls for, I also threw in some pattypan squash from my garden. I also put a little dusting of parmesean cheese on the top, but this is totally optional as well.
  • 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
  • 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
  • 1 jalapeno, thinly sliced
  • 1 zucchini, thinly sliced
  • 1 cup fresh corn kernels
  • Coarse salt
  • 8 large eggs
----
  1. Heat broiler. In a medium ovenproof (preferably cast-iron) skillet, heat oil over medium heat and cook onion and jalapeno, stirring, until tender, about 5 minutes. Add zucchini and corn and cook until tender, about 7 minutes more. Season with salt.

    Baby zucchini from my garden (well they would have been more baby in size if I had harvested them early enough).  They are a really tasty heirloom variety that I plan to grow next year as well.
    I used a jalapeno from my garden too :) 
  2. In a bowl, whisk eggs with 1/2 teaspoon salt and pour into skillet with vegetables. Cook until sides are just beginning to set, 2 to 3 minutes.

  3. Transfer skillet to oven and broil until just set in the middle and lightly golden and puffed on top, 2 to 3 minutes.

    I promise, I'll start working on better photography!  I realize my pictures make my food look less than appetizing.


No comments:

Post a Comment