Here's a healthier take on eggplant parmesan.....well I should say eggplant mozzarella because that's all I had in the fridge. I'm sure almost any cheese would be good with this dish though. A combination of mozzarella and parmesan would be worth a try for sure!
The measurements below are really just suggestions....I used as much eggplant, tomato and basil as I could until I filled the baking dish up. I actually made it even easier than the original recipe, so there are plenty of things you can do to make this recipe good!
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed or olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 2 small eggplants, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 3 tablespoon minced fresh basil
- 2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh mozzarella cheese
|Ready to be baked!|
2. Place half of the eggplant in a greased 1-qt. baking dish. Arrange tomato slices over top. Sprinkle with half of the basil and half of the cheese. Continue layering eggplant, tomato and basil and then top with cheese.
3. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Uncover; bake 5 minutes longer or until the cheese is melted.
|Ready to go in the oven|