Monday, July 23, 2012

Tomato, Basil and Sweet Corn Soup


This soup tastes like summer and made me really happy because I love summer and all the fruits and vegetables that come along with it!  Plain and simple....summer is the best time of the year.  It makes me sad that soon tomatoes and corn will be out of season because I think I could make this soup every week.  It was that good.  

At first I was skeptical at how it would turn out, because I decided not to use vegetable consomme like the original recipe calls for.  Sticking with my not eating food from a package rule, I just added plenty of salt and pepper to my broth and it was fine.  This is a super easy and healthy soup that is sure to please just about anyone!
  • 1 tbsp grapeseed oil
  • 1 large sweet onion, diced
  • 4 gloves garlic, diced
  • 4 tomatoes
  • 2 ears corn, husked and shucked
  • 2 tbsp fresh basil (or more)
  • 3 cups water
  • plenty of salt and pepper to taste
---- 
1  Heat oil in a large pot over medium flame. Add onions and cook 6-8 minutes or until translucent.
2.  Meanwhile, bring a second pot full of water to boil. Drop tomatoes in and cook for 90 seconds or until the skins begin to peel off the tomatoes. Immediately plunge into a bowl of ice water. The skins should peel right off. Discard skins. Chop tomatoes.
3. Add garlic to onions and stir for 1 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, corn, and basil. Add water and bring to a boil.  Add plenty of salt and pepper, reduce to a simmer and cover. Cook for 30 minutes.

4.  Using an immersion blender, puree soup leaving small bits of corn whole for texture.  Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.


No comments:

Post a Comment